On the first day of class we were asked “what is history and how do you do it”? I found this interesting because I have never heard of “doing” history before. From the introduction to class I received enough information to generate a brief answer. However, there is so much more when it comes to doing history, which I learned throughout the semester. Below is an image of my answer from the first day of class.

Throughout the semester I was able to better understand the concept of doing history and the precautions a researcher must take. For example, looking at the author and their intended audience helps in determining whether or not there are significant biases in the document. This should be considered when looking at all kinds of documents including primary and secondary sources. The document analysis I did about half way through the course helped me apply this knowledge and was again helpful when gathering research for my final paper.

Link to Document Analysis

Link to Research Project

Below is my final reading log showcasing what I learned about what history is and how it is done. Compared to my first thoughts on the matter, this log shows how this course helped me gain a better understanding and appreciation for the subject.

Reading log #9