Most weeks throughout the semester we read some articles and/or documents and discussed our readings in reading logs. This allowed me to gain a better understanding of some of the concepts that helped make Canada what it is today. Below are five reading logs I have chosen that are the most memorable to me throughout the semester.

Reading Log #1 – The Buffalo Jump

The buffalo jump was an important reading log because it focused on life before European contact. History did not start when the Europeans arrived because there were many Indigenous populations inhabiting the area prior. It just happens that the European history is easier to track down because they kept written records where the Indigenous peoples kept their history orally. The buffalo jump shows these different Indigenous communities coming together to achieve a main goal of gathering food. This strategy allows them to survive off of food from the buffalos for long periods of time, unlike hunting one animal at a time. Below is my reading log which goes more in depth on the topic.

Reading Log #1

Reading Log #2 – The Missionaries

The reading log on the missionaries was very important and a huge part of Canadian history. Over the years of European migration, the European views were constantly being pushed on the Indigenous peoples in an attempt to assimilate them. The settlers wanted the Indigenous peoples to be more like them, however the Indigenous populations already had their own beliefs. Religion was very important to the European settlers with their views on God, sin, heaven and hell. Below is my reading log on the topic which discusses the views of the Indigenous peoples on the religion of the European.

Reading Log #2-converted

Reading Log #4 – The Acadians

The Acadians are an important part of Canadian history as their colonies appeared in the earliest days of European arrival. Acadians are French-speaking Catholics and the problem was that they were living in British controlled territory. The Acadian exile of 1755 is another important time as the Acadians were exiled because of their French backgrounds. The Acadians seemed like people who just wanted to live their lives without fighting against other people, which ultimately led to their removal. Before reading these articles I do not remember learning about the Acadian exile. It seems like an important part of history that all Canadians should know about because it deals with the ongoing conflict between the French and the English, which flooded pre-confederate Canada. Below is my reading log on the topic which goes more in depth on the topic.

Reading Log #4-converted

Reading Log #6 – The Gold Rush

The readings on the Cariboo Gold Rush I found particularly important because as a resident of British Columbia, the gold rush is probably the biggest historical occurrence before 1867. Most of the course material deals with the east coast of Canada, and the gold rush being in B.C. makes it easier for me to relate and apply my previous knowledge on the topic. I have learned about the gold rush at some point in my academic career, however the parts that I remember are all surface level material. It was interesting to read the primary documents on the matter because I remember hearing about the gold rush in a more positive light. The documents show that many people are warning others to stay away and that the journey isn’t worth it. Another point I never thought about until these readings was the dangerous trek the gold seekers had to endure as the infrastructure was not there. These documents highlight the mountainous terrain and swift river currents that miners will need to conquer before even getting to the gold rush. Below is my reading log on the topic which gives a more in depth view.

Reading Log #6

Reading Log #7 – The Charivari

The readings for this log on the charivari practices were the most interesting to me out of all the reading log material. Before this semester I had never heard of a charivari or anything like it. One of the readings was a primary document by Susanna Moodie I particularly enjoyed as I could relate to Moodie. If I were to experience a charivari before this class, I would have been confused and asked lots of questions just like her. It is also interesting to see how the charivari adapted to events occurring around them and changed from focusing on marriages to becoming political demonstrations. It is also nice to read about different views on the matter and how people see the charivari compared to what it actually is. Below is my reading log on the topic which is a more in depth look at charivari practices.

Reading Log #7